, ,

Knees here in Juarez have become a precious commodity.  I know at least 3 people at work who have had fairly major knee surgeries since they arrived in Juarez, one in the last month.  Throughout my husband and my 8-year-relationship I’ve been the one with the knee problems. My knee issues stem from an 10+ year old incident involving an angry T-ball mom and a baseball bat (it’s only slightly less terrible than it sounds) and I only really have issues with them if I’m running on hard pavement or playing tennis without my trusty knee braces. So with my history of knee issues, I never imagined that my husband would be the one to have the knee problem here.

Long story short: my husband got in a bike accident last Thursday. He was going a little too fast on a less-than-smooth patch of road. He tried to go up a driveway to get on the sidewalk, but his front tire glanced off the curb, the bike kept going straight and he ended up thrown off to one side. He landed on the palms of his hands and his knee scraped along the sidewalk. I got to him about a minute after this all went down, and by then he was in a lot of pain and gushing blood. He was able to hobble to the car and I literally threw his bike to the guards outside our development and we raced off to the nearest emergency room.

Even though it only took us about 5 minutes to get to the hospital, by the time we arrived he had lost a fair amount of blood and we knew it was probably pretty bad. Once the nurses peeked into the gaping hole in his pant-leg they confirmed our suspicions: he had literally skinned his entire kneecap — right down to the bone. After confirming via x-ray that the bone was not in the least bit damaged, we consulted with an orthopedic surgeon who immediately scheduled surgery for a few hours later to reattach the muscle and skin and to close the wound.

He spent Thursday night and all day Friday in the hospital. Getting him home was a long process and once we got him up the stairs in our house he stayed there the whole weekend. Of course all this went down the week I was on duty (more on that in my next post) so I spent the entire weekend running up and down the stairs fetching meals and snacks, helping him shower, finding perfectly fluffly pillows to use for knee support in the bed and on the couch, all the while answering the duty phone which always managed to ring *just* as I had drifted off to sleep, or right when I was in the middle of doing something complicated. Needless to say, I’m exhausted.

He’s doing much better now, but he’ll have a wicked scar. The wound wasn’t very clean so the stitches are kind of all over the place and they’re seriously huge. But he’s already started walking with the help of a super hip cane* and he’s expected to make a full recovery.




*I bought the cane from Albertson’s for $15. It’s aluminum and adjustable and quite possibly the most old-man-ish cane I’ve ever seen. I love it.